Nothing Special

January 12, 2015 · 0 comments

You can skip this one, dear reader.  I don’t have anything particular to say today.  Slow day at work.  I’m not even getting anything personal done – just surfing the web for so long that my brain has turned to mush.  So I figure I’ll at least sit on my exercise ball and bang out a quick post that hopefully amounts to five hundred words.

The boys are doing well.  Henry is on antibiotics and recovering from an ear infection.  He turned the corner (fingers crossed) on Sunday – Saturday and Friday were not good days for the poor little guy.  Oscar is doing well also:  the colic seems to be abating somewhat.  He still cries like a banshee a few times a day, but I think that’s more out of habit than any particular discomfort.  Hopefully he’ll learn soon that he doesn’t have to take it all the way to the red to get our attention.

I’m on antibiotics too.  Went to the Minute Clinic on Saturday because I just couldn’t take it any more.  I’ve had a wet cough since last weekend, but I woke up on Saturday feeling like absolute shite.  Pretty sure it’s another sinus infection.  I had five rounds of antibiotics in 2014, the last of which was in December.  It’s only been a few weeks since my last sinus infection.  The doctor at the MC said that she thinks my ails are viral, not bacterial, and that antibiotics wouldn’t really do anything for me.  Still, I’m pretty sure I can tell what a sinus infection tastes like.  She was also worried about antibiotic resistance, but I felt so poorly on Saturday that I didn’t really care.  I’d just spent the prior week waiting for the illness to “run its course” when it took a turn for the worse on Saturday.  I think the antibiotics are working:  I feel quite a bit better today than I did on Saturday and my symptoms are starting to go away.

I’m not really a big fan of going to the doctor and taking medicine this much, but with two small boys at home, I’m really not getting much sleep, which I’m certain is putting my immune system a little behind the eight ball.  And on top of that, I really haven’t been getting much exercise lately – and by “lately” I mean in the past couple of years.  I’m hoping to turn that around soon.

I bought a Fitbit Surge, which arrived on Saturday.  I also ordered a new pair of trail runners, which arrived today.  While I don’t expect gear by itself to get me back in shape, the joy I get out of new toys should help a little bit.  I started tracking my water consumption with the Fitbit, and having it on my wrist is also a good reminder that I need to get my ass back in shape.  Hopefully, Valerie and I will purchase an erg soon so that I can get some exercise through the winter.  It’s mostly been cold and crappy outside, which has really put a damper on my desire to go out for a nice long walk.

Anyway, that’s it:  I’ve passed the 500 word mark and it’s ten to five, so I can hit Publish, shut down my computer, and get out of the office a little early.  If you read all the way through this post, thank you.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: