October 27, 2010 · 0 comments

I’m headed off to Taiwan for work this Sunday.  I’ll be at a conference on Wednesday and Thursday in Taipei, and I have appointments set up with former clients of mine on Tuesday and Friday.  I hope to bring these clients with me to my new firm and make some connections so that I can bring in a few more clients over the next couple of years.

Mucho gratitude to my friend and regular international traveler Scott Ireland a.k.a. WinterWarlock for being so generous with his time and advice with me this morning.

I cleaned up my kitchen a bit this evening.  I started by doing the dishes that have been sitting in the sink for what seems like forever.  Funny thing, I felt much better the second I turned the water on and got my hands wet.  You see, I’ve been pretty stressed lately:  I have what seems like too many things to do and not enough time.  I’ve got half-started/half-completed lists all over the place, and it’s been exceedingly difficult to get started or stay working on any one particular project – I can’t seem to shake the feeling that I’m wasting time on the particular task upon which I’m working because there are so many more pressing and important tasks to be completed.  So I switch projects.  And the feeling doesn’t change.

I’m having business cards printed with English on one side and Mandarin on the other.  I’m using the traditional Chinese characters instead of the simplified characters because Taiwan is ROC, not PRC.  The printer and translator wanted to do the cards in simplified characters, but everything I’ve read makes me think that the traditional characters are the way to go.

I’m a stickler for being culturally correct.  I like the stress that Asian cultures put on honor and being polite (or at least that’s how it seems to me).  Being an avowed American and capitalist on the outside and an idealist and romantic on the inside, I kind of have the feeling that I’ll be very comfortable in the culture of Taiwan.  We’ll see; no need for me to spend so much time projecting.  I just have a thing for being proper and so (it seems) do they.

I’ve been working longer hours than usual and coming home to basically veg out with a book for a couple of hours before heading off to bed.  Here and there, I’ve been getting a handful of errands run before I get home, but once I’m back at my place, that’s it.  I’m done.  I’ve been turning my computer on only out of habit; turning it off unused a couple of hours later when I rack out.  The shorter daylight hours are starting to affect me, I think, so it’s probably time to get back in the habit of using my light box in the mornings.  I still can’t make it to work at 8:30 (not that that’s my starting time anymore), even at the new firm.

Things are going pretty well in the new gig.  I have an office.  Let me repeat that:  I have an office.  With a door.  That closes.  It’s fucking glorious.

The COO got his dander up a couple of weeks ago about our firm having a General Counsel.  And guess who’s on the docket (no pun)?  You betcha:  yours truly.  When I get back from Taiwan, I’m going to press the issue a bit more strongly.  The firm is going to pay for a bar exam review class (and the bar exam fees) and I’m going to get my license to practice law (probably just in NJ) and new business cards that say ‘General Counsel’.  Two years with that job title and I can do fucking anything.  Not that I can’t do fucking anything right now, but it’ll sure be a nice feather in my cap.

This past Sunday I did a 23 mile hike of the Escarpment Trail with Debbie Melita, Valerie Accardi, Ronnie Cusmano and Bill Winterbottom.  It was pretty sweet.  I was a bit nervous because I hadn’t strung together that many miles in quite a while, but I made out ok.  I stayed towards the rear of the group for the first two-thirds or so, and got out in front to keep our blistering pace going for the last 5 miles or so.  We were really cooking the whole time.  My feet were a bit sore at the end, but that would have been remedied easily enough by taking my boots off and letting them air out once or twice more.  It was really more moisture than anything else.   We completed the hike in about 11.25 hours, starting off with headlamps and ending before the sun went down.  What a gorgeous day!  And believe you me, dear reader, the company was to die for.

So my fitness level has been constantly on the rise over the past few months.  I hope to get some hiking done in Taiwan while I’m there.  I wanted to climb the tallest peak (of course) Yushan, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.  One needs a permit (which are only given by lottery) and a minimum hiking party of three.  I have no problem driving by myself in the HOV lane, but I kind of think this is different.  Plus, it looks to be WAY too far from where I’ll be staying in Taipei to make for a doable day hike.

November is National Novel Writing Month and I need to get my ass in gear for NaNoWriMo as well.  wtf.

So that’s it for now.  942 words is all you get from me tonight.  I’m off to bed.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: