Next week is Rap Appreciation Week.
This will be somewhat of an experiment, mostly to see how active you, dear reader, wish to be in your blog-reading experience. Take action. This is an opportunity to showcase your knowledge. I know many of my readers are fans of rap music, so between now and Sunday (2/15/2009), play back your albums and pick the lyrics you like best, the ones that touched you the most, made you feel most strongly. Anything you like. Email them to me at QuixoticJedi[at]gmail[dot]com with “Rap Appreciation Week” in the subject line and I will post the best 5 responses that I receive (one each day, Monday through Friday). Here are the rules:
RAP APPRECIATION WEEK
1. “Rap Appreciation Week” in the subject line of your email to QuixoticJedi[at]gmail[dot]com.
2. Your name (and any additional info you’d like displayed – age, hometown, your blog, web address, etc.) You can choose to post anonymously if you like; I will only display the info you request to be displayed.
3. Name of group (and specific rapper if you remember), album title, song title (track # too, if you like).
4. The lyrics (a manageable set of lines – a couple of verses, not necessarily the whole song).
5. (and most important) WHY YOU CHOSE THESE LYRICS: HOW THEY MAKE YOU FEEL, ETC.
And that’s it. Credit will be given to particularly good lyrical choices, but it’s what you write for #5 that will be the main factor in determining which submissions actually get posted.
Remember, this will be a blog post, so length doesn’t really matter, but people will get bored if you go on too long. I will not grammar/spellcheck unless you specifically request me to do so – this is an opportunity to be heard in your own voice, I won’t let mine contaminate it.
This is your opportunity to gain some notoriety. I don’t have a ridiculously huge following here, but there are plenty of people you don’t know who read this blog. I won’t give out any personal information of any other submitters, so don’t even ask.
This is open to all, so feel free to send this to your friends. Remember, only the best 5 will be posted on the internet, so think hard and write well.
The deadline is Sunday 2/15/2009 at midnight EST.
Good luck, and goddess bless.